Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on using my compressor to blow the bees out of the supers at harvest time and would like to know what PSI others have used for this. I would imagine it should be quite low but a recommended starting point from someone who is experienced would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
You would need a very big one. Due to the volume of air that you will need. You would be better off with your leaf blower. I am useing a electric one.. My out yards where there is no power I have a inverter on my truck to plug in. I like this set up due to not having to Liston to the engines on a gas blower. I did look at the Makita battery one the other day seeing I own other tools of there's. I don't think it is strong enough.
David

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I am planning on using my compressor to blow the bees out of the supers at harvest time and would like to know what PSI others have used for this. I would imagine it should be quite low but a recommended starting point from someone who is experienced would be helpful.
People who blow bees out of supers at harvest time use a leaf blower, not an air hose. What size nozzle are you planning on using?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Long Lane Honey Bee Farms, first time Ive heard of the air compressor method also. You might have to ask them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of your replies. Using a compressor makes sense to me. I have useed mine often to clean all the dust from my large woodshop and always had plenty of air volume to do the job so I was surprised someone would think that it would not work for honey supers which seems like a much smaller job tha blowing out the shop.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Pressure is not the issue, speed and volume of air are what matter. When we developed the first blowers, 200 MPH was a benchmark, generated from a 5 hp engine. I think you will find that the profile of the air plume will make it difficult to work with. The ideal nozzle opening is about 5/16th buy 3" inches.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My hives are on the side of my shop so I could just run a hose outside. I have a nozzle that is about 1/2 " by 2". I do have an electric leaf blower so I think I will try both and see what I like better especially since it seems there is some question on whether the compressed air will even work. I will probably try the bee escape also. I have always just used a bee brush in the past but have more hives now and want to speed things up a little. I really appreciate all of the advice I have received. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Compressed air, leaf blower .... what kind of bees have you bread people? Have I tried to stick a leaf blower into one of my suppers it would've produced the same effect as me sticking my nose into this thread. I realize that it is most likely commercial beekeeping practices which are by default designed to cut corners but still.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
too high of air pressure will damage the bees. Like Roland mentioned, its the air volume that is key. I have a leaf blower with a 6 foot 3" hose, which has a 1" end. Its there when I need it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts