Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to ask for a complete and comprehensive list of the treatment, chemicals and pest you treat for. I think this would be good for someone like myself, to know what treatments are used, what is being treated, why and your schedule.
Please list your region, state, city or town information. What ever you are comfortable with. Then others in the area will gain the knowledge for those regions.
I intend to create a spreadsheet at some point with this data and post it on this forum.
Thank you for your co-operation in this endeavor!
I will start;
Swifter (CHUX) unscented off brand Placement on top of top super / hive body - treatment of SHB
Oxytetracycline HCL soluble powder (OTC) - treatment of EFB
Sealed and caulked bottom boards to prevent SHB
Apivar strips - treatment of Varmites - late summer (after honey removal)- early spring before the honey flow

North East Florida, Starke, Bradford County

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I think as a new beekeeper you might be better to learn the diseases and pests first and how to identify them. Some can be tricky. Sometimes there is a combination, and a few make you think it's the queen or the bees fault.

There are so many different treatments and new ones every day, some are not effective and depending on the severity will determine which one you chose. Also depends if you want natural or chemical. Many of which you will never need to know.

A list of diseases you need to be able to identify at a minimum are; EFB, PMS, DWV, K wing, nosema, AFB, chalkbrood and sacbrood.
Pests; Varroa mites, small hive beetles, wax moths and mammals (skunks, *****, possiums, mice, schrews)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>I would like to ask for a complete and comprehensive list of the treatment, chemicals and pest you treat for.

Bears (don't have any but this is what I would use): electric fence
Skunks/Opossums/Mice/Shrews etc.: upper entrances only
Wax Moths: keep combs on hives until winter then keep them where they will freeze.
Nosema: nothing
Stonebrood: nothing
Chalkbrood: nothing
EFB: nothing
AFB: nothing (I would probably burn if I found any... but I never have and I don't treat)
Parafoulbrood: nothing
Sacbrood: nothing
Varroa: small cell and natural cell (not exactly a treatment)
Tracheal mites: nothing
Small hive beetles: nothing

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I treat for mite using MAQS (summer) and OAV Fall and early winter. That is all. I put great emphasis on unstressed, warm, well-supplied, hives. Seems to work for me and my gals.

ETA: If I see a SHB, I squash 'em. My colonies are in the full sun.

Enj.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts