Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was setting up the foundation and area where my bees are going to be, then i smelt it and a thought came into my head, are the bees going to not like being so close to a compost pile? Its not huge, just one we use for the house.

2nd, does anyone know of any bees for sale in the central mass area and it surroundings? Found some places but they don't have them till end of may.

Thanks

Pablo

·
Registered
123 Posts
Our compost pile doesn't attract or seem to bother my hives. We have large pear tree near the hives that drops and rots many fruit that other types of bees are attracted to but I've rarely notice the ladies on them. That said...

We had a discussion on this board about SHB that arrived in my hives almost as soon as I set them up. My town seems to be a pocket for the little buggers. I asked where they could possibly come from. One poster mentioned that there is research that small hive beetles live on squash type plants and that HUGE compost sites could be the reason. Although our town has a "city wide" compost. It's several miles from us so my SHB either are the blood hounds of the sky or they may have evolved in our compost with the additions we've gotten from the town over the years. If you aren't in an area where SHB are a problem I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My bees are attracted to our compost bin. The amount depends on what is in there and the time of year. Usually 10-100 honey bees and millions of fruit flies. One year I came home and could hear a swarm of bees. I walked into the back yard and it looked like the swarm was landing in the compost bin.

It was August and our flow was over for the year. I walked over and took the lid off and saw that my wife had dumped 10 quarts of old canned peaches with their syrup in there:no:.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have a three bin composting set up within twelve feet of my hives. I make about 10 cu yds of compost a year There was no problem throughout the season last year. If your compost bin has flies then it is probably too wet and dry compost attracts ants. Turn it regularly to keep the moisture even and expose insect eggs and larvae to the heat that will do them in.

·
Registered
706 Posts
yesterday I saw my bees sticking thier heads in bags of stear compost? whats up with that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that is a relief, glad that they wont be bothered by it. Looks like ill be getting a nucleus next week, can't wait for that day. Thanks for the help

Pablo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts