Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some frames that have comb drawn very nicely. But there is a 1 inch void or gap running all along both sides and on the bottom of the comb.

I always keep foundation rotated into the hives for comb production. So maybe they see no need to finish out these frames. Maybe they will never do it(?)

Is there any tricks to get the bees to finish the comb, or am I doomed to accept it. I thought perhaps crowding? Or cutting the edges to make the comb want to be repaired by the bees and perhaps fooling them into finishing it while they are at it?

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thank you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Unfortunately, this is typical of combs which are drawn in the bottom story. It reduces the useful area of the comb. If one of these combs is later rotated to an upper story the bees will fill the space with drone comb. Not ideal.

I have often fit a strip of unwired brood foundation into the space, pressing it to the wires and the midrib of the comb, and introduced such combs in an upper story of the hive for the bees to complete. Once the comb is built to the bottom bar in this way, the bees aren't apt to chew it "short" again.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I think it was Jay Smith that said you leave the bottom bar down 3/8" (a gap between the end and the bottom) when you put in the foundation and after it's drawn down to almost the bottom bar you push it the rest of the way in.

They seem to leave this gap at the bottom and one end in the brood nest regardless of whether it's wax foundation (which they have to chew out to make the gap) or foundationless and even leave it undrawn on the plastic, probably trying to leave a gap. Maybe it's so they can feel the vibration of the waggle dance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts