Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did first hive inspection after winter found a lot of dead bees on bottom board
I have 2 super hive ,bottom super empty. top super had maybe a few hundred bees , the queen was still alive some capped brood. The question I have is is this amount of bees to small for hive to continue or should I Start over with a new package in a few weeks. There is a lot of Capped honey left in both supers 4 frames bottom super and 6 frames top super.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My suggestion is to place the queen and the surviving bees in a 5 frame nuc for right now, and start a new package in one of the supers. place all the capped honey except 3 frames in the other super, and place in a safe location. Place 2 frames of honey in the package, and 1 in with the bees.keep the honey until this fall, or extract, if you know the status of in. (medicated, goldenrod, undesirable honey) keep for winter stores. try to build the survivors up and over winter again, as well as the new package. makbe they will maybe they won't, but they will at least try, and they can build drawn comb for you too.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
As Bigbore suggested, if you have the equipment, reduce the hive to a nuc. Otherwise, reduce the entrance to the smallest size, consolidate the hive - do not disturb the cluster/brood nest, but put frames of pollen up against the brood nest, to facilitate brood expansion. Also, try to do a post-mortem. Why did the colony end up as it did? Indication of starved bees? unable to move to stores? Deformed Wing Virus? Try to discover what killed the bees.

You may be pleasantly surprised, and the colony will take off as your weather and forage improves. If the queen is older, you may want to order a new queen and requeen when you can. Of course, ordering a package is good insurance, and didn't you want another colony anyway? :applause:
Regards,
Steven

1 - 3 of 3 Posts