Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we said in the Military, complacency is a killer. Thankfully I dodged a bullet but it still grazed me.

I do not post often, I mainly lurk and chime in when I feel I have valuable information to share. We have been having beautiful weather and awesome temperatures here in South Central PA for the last few weeks or so. My hives have had fantastic survival rates and only three came out of the winter weaker than I would have liked but totally rescuable. So I let my guard down and removed the moisture management from the hives last weekend. Last night the temps got down low enough to cause a fair amount of condensation to collect in the strongest hives which caused bees to die. Nothing detrimental to the hives but it could have been if I didn't catch it. So I put moisture boards back on and ensured there was good air flow.

Yes its spring and the weather is beautiful. However, in some places in the USA our hives have built up earlier than normal and with the large numbers of bees there is the potential for large amounts of condensation on colder nights. The thing is, I knew better and the weather we have been having this spring has been a blessing. However, it caused me to not fully pay attention. Hopefully my experience rings home to others.

I wish all of you a healthy and plentiful 2021 season.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Pennsylvania is a rough climate, interior PA residents are not fortunate like coastal states, and often get hard freezes well into April.

I'm beginning to get concerned about swarming, which is normally not a concern of mine this early in the season.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Long-standing farmer's complaint- can't control the weather. Ya just gots ta make yer best guess and roll with the blows.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Curious where you are in South Central PA. Moving to the Bedford area in the summer of 23' when I retire from the Army.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Im near state college, centre county, i think its rained nearly everyday for the past month! I keep tellin the misses i want out of PA but apparently my beek hobby isnt a good enough reason to relocate to tennesee lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts