Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya Beeks! I'm wondering what companies are the best for competitive prices, free shipping, speedy delivery when it comes to beekeeping tools..
I'm sure this is a redundant question, but suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! -BK

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mann lake hands down, free shipping on orders over $100.00 Excellent quality, and great customer service.
I placed an order for 5 commercial deeps last week and shipment arrived today.
A side note on lumber grade. I had been using "select" grade but opted to try the commercial grade to save some $$ Commercial grade is just as nice as the select and you save a few bucks per box, if you order in bulk save even more... Go Mann Lake.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
You need to always look at the bottom line. There is no free lunch. Sometimes the "free shipping" is the cheapest and sometimes it isn't. What is the cheapest often has to do with where you are located and what the shipping charges would be.

I only made the mistake of wasting my money on select equipment once. I'd get budget if it's available, and commercial if it's not...

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>Michael, I noticed in another thread you said you like some aspects of the Merrill toolbox from Bushy Mountain. Since I need all the tools anyway, do you think this is a good investment?

If you are handy and like to build things, you can build one cheaper and focus on the aspects you need. They tried to build everything into it. It will hold a frame grip, a smoker, a frame rest, a bee brush and a standard hive tool in special locations on the outside, plus whatever you put inside. I can't say I use a grip enough to haul one around (I did when using a lot of frames that had no spacers because it helped space things), I don't use a standard hive tool and I never did use the frame rest I bought and finally sold it (too hard to break 30 years of habit and I never thought to use it). On the other hand, if you don't want to build one, it is a great tool box/swarm catcher. I think I own three of them, so I must have thought it was worth it. :)

It not only makes a great place for all those odds and ends like queen catchers, cages, marking pens etc. but it makes a great stool as well...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Michael, I went ahead and ordered it. I liked the idea of it doubling as a frame holder/transporter and a stool. (Does that make me lazy?) :D
Actually, that reminds me of the "Lazy Beekeeping" article you wrote which I shared on my fb page a while back which also could have been titled, "Working smarter, not harder.. " I quite enjoyed that article. Anyways, I digress. I'll let you know what I think of the box when it comes.. :)

Ps. For anyone interested that article, here's the link: http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Who offers free freight besides Mann Lake? I don't have any issues with them at all, but I need to buy at least 50 supers. Mann Lake has good prices and free freight but if I can save some money somewhere else that would be great with free freight. Freight is an arse kicker.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Looks like Mann Lake has the best deal on supers. $8.70ea for 50 and free freight. Kelley's is $10ea and free freight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts