Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what % of any surplus honey you give back to a landowner who was nice enough to allow you to set up hives on their land?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
342 Posts
I assume you are doing this as a "thank you" and not as part of any formal agreement?
A good hive in a prime location could easily produce 100+ pounds of honey a season. That's about 8 gallons. If your friend was a big consumer of honey, he might use two gallons a year but most people use much, much less. A generous "thank you" would probably be four quarts.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Do not do it by percentage. Even if you do not get any honey you should be giving them something. Give them all they want within reason.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You could (depending on how many hives they are allowing) give them half the crop from one hive or 1 gallon whichever is more. BUT only if the bees make honey. Otherwise you could find yourself buying some suebee :)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have always been told to give 1 pound jar of honey per hive. That being said, I personnally give more thruout the year. I mean these people let me use their land basically whenever I want.

I often buy eggs and produce from the various landowners and just drop them off at other places.

They help me and I help them. It just creates a tighter bond between us.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Generally the land owner gets some benefit from having the bees on his property. That said, I give 4 quarts. And am very considerate of his property, asking a couple times a year if I need to do anything to alleviate any concern he has with the bees.

·
Registered
812 Posts
If he is raising crops that need the bees I charge per hive for pollination service but do thow in a jar of honey from time to time.

I do have a couple of friends each about 1 mile away that I have been thinking of placing some drone colonies. In this case I would up the amount of free honey. :)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Take them an appropriate number of small jars right after Thanksgiving. The honey will solve many Christmas gift dilemmas and they will love you for it.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I give each outyard's owner a quart or honey or so, a couple/few one-pounders (so they can give as gifts) and a few bottles of mead.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Ask the landowner how much honey they want. A pound of honey per hive is common, but as long as they are happy and you are happy - that's what's important.

I know a landowner who has some mature English walnut trees in his yard. For the past couple of years, I have given him a one pound jar of honey and he lets me pick up 6 or 8 five gallon buckets of walnuts.

I am putting a bee yard in this year on the back part of that farm. Gary told me the jar of honey I give him for the walnuts lasts him a long time. He doesn't eat much honey...just on his toast for breakfast. He said if he gets a couple of the one pound jars a year, he would be tickled to death. He knows I plan to have 20 or so hives at that location too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts