Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So awhile back we had a discussion about commercial guys and weather they like plastic or wax. I was pretty impressed with both sides of the arguement, so I am doing about 50/50 on the hives I am making up this year. Between 30 and 50.

So now to todays querry, I just picked up a my foundation, question relates to wax only. The wax I picked up all came with verticle wires, deeps with hooks, mediums not. If there are no plans of putting any deeps through an extractor do they still need wire/mono, and/or pins? Also on the mediiums with wire are wire and pins needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I use both deep and medium wax foundation, I dont use plastic. In regards to the deeps, I do use them for honey production (extractor) and later use this drawn comb for splits and increases. I use the crimpwired foundation (vertical wires-no hook) and I do cross wire them. Even if I was not extracting I would still wire them due to the heat here in FL, I've seen crimpwired deep foundation sag and buckle with heat. Not sure way up there the heat will be an issue for you, maybe pinning them would be quicker and easier than cross wiring if you dont have the heat issue, and I seem to remember seeing a post on pinning them with bobby pins like girls use in their hair (cheaper than the pins from bee supply houses) thats my 2 cents on deep foundation.
In regards to mediums I dont cross wire or pin them in any way, never had a problem with mediums coming apart in the extractor as long as ithe comb was attached on all four sides of the frame.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
We cross wire and embed our deeps, but that is all we run. Do a test, see what works for you. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Roland

·
Registered
911 Posts
for my deeps i never extract them but i still run cross wires through the two middle holes just keeps every thing tight and sturdy, like roland said better safe than sorry.
Nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts