Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have experience please comment on the BeeVital liquid formic and oxalic acid varroa medication named VarroMed.
I'm particularly interested in how and when and why you use it and don't choose to use it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
There's a bunch of theads floating around on here about it. I may have styarted at least one. I too wanted to try it, but it isn't sold in the US unless something has changed. I've been using Randy Oliver's OA dribble with Glycerine instead. Very much like the results.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I use it with great success. The key is to treat every three months. To keep numbers low all year round.

Varromed doesn't replace Apivar when you use it like Apivar. It can replace it, if you keep numbers low, by treating every three month.

The math behind is, is that the mites need two to three months to recover and reach the initial population. So if you start with 100, treat them with 80 % success, the remaining 20 mites recover to 100 mites in two to three months.

Treat in spring, summer, autumn and winter and this stuff is great.

Despite the simple looks of the ingredient list, it is a well thought out design. Sugar was replaced with propolis, to stick the propolis to the bees. The sugar is the reason why bees die after an oxalic acid treatment, because the sugar makes them ingest the dribbled stuff. Since Varromed is more or less sugar free, it is much less harmful to bees.

The formic acid prolongs the active time of oxalic acid in the hive. So the effects on the mites span a wider time. The small formic acid also works great when the weather is hot, which in summer makes the mites drop in numbers.

The bottle is ready to go, shake, unscrew, dribble.

I like it. As I said, use it every two three months when inspecting and keep those mite numbers low all the time. And it works. If you do nothing all year long, just to pop in in summer to treat mites, this is the wrong medicine.

I linked it before, but just as a reminder: see attachment.

The manufacturer info: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...er+Final+v01.1+Ernie+confirmed+2017-08-31.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Bernhard:

Can you use it with honey supers in place? Is there a danger in harming colony if used in very hot temperatures? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a bunch of theads floating around on here about it. I may have styarted at least one. I too wanted to try it, but it isn't sold in the US unless something has changed. I've been using Randy Oliver's OA dribble with Glycerine instead. Very much like the results.
I know of one other, in which I contributed, from 6 months ago. At that time only 2 beekeepers with experience using the product joined the discussion.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks again Bernhard.

from the Leaflet inside the 550ml package (apparently abbreviated), dated 29.06.2018:
-there is no listing excipients as in the pdf.

5. Do not use during nectar flow.
9. VarroMed should not be used during the nectar flow, or when honey chambers are attached to the hive.
10. Withdrawal period for honey: zero days

There are no temperatures warnings for use. (although there are adverse reactions discussed including increased mortality in worker bees.)
-Do not store above 25*C
-Use at times when bees have low flight activity (late afternoon, evening). Darkness facilitates distribution of the product between bees.
-It is suggested that the product should be 25-35*C before use and shaken well.
-Administer evenly over the bees, particularly in the winter cluster.
-The concomitant use of other acaricidal products should be avoided because increased toxicity to bees might occur.
-Efficacy studied only on hives with low to moderate varroa infestations.

Detailed information can be found on the website of the European Medicines Agency www.ema.europa.eu/
or here:
https://ec.europa.eu/health/documents/community-register/2017/20170202136456/anx_136456_en.pdf

The previous thread on VarroMed can be found here:
https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?331601-VarroMed-something-new-coming

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like that is still the case unfortunately.
Yes it does, maybe I've not given it enough time for others to report.
The information offered so far has been helpful.

It's Reminiscent of the old days though, do the best you can with what info you have and see what works and what doesn't. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Can you use it with honey supers in place? Is there a danger in harming colony if used in very hot temperatures?
No, you shouldn't use it when supers are on, but you can between the harvests. The Varromed works very well in hot weather. It seems the 1 % formic acid is an absolut killer when ambient temperatures are hot. Mites drop in large numbers then. Bees are fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts