Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit average temperature today for a rare break. 43 degrees today, 27 next Monday.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
some day's just don't go well. I have one yard that is the farthest from my house, today 40 degrees with heavy winds, the yard is a mile down a road that they don't plow. So on go the snow shoes, luckily a snow mobile had gone down the road, I walk the mile and just b/4 getting to the yard I notice that they have logged the land across the street, and to get the trees out have plowed the road to withing 100 yards of my yard, if I had only come in from the other end:waiting:

so on to the next yard, I have one hive that is light, so I had filled up a 5 lb jar with honey to fill the internal feeder, snow shoe in, try to take of my coat to put a bee suit on, the zipper on the coat breaks, can't get it undone, so I put my coat hood up and draw the strings tight. try to take the top off the jar and by now the honey has gotten cold and the top won't come off, keep whacking it with my hive tool, after 5 min I finally get it off. open up the hive(not one of my friendliest hives), and they attack that funny hooded thing looking in the hive, got me on the eye lid, lips, they were having a wonderful time as I put the honey in the feeder.
If we had mud, I would have gotten stuck too.:thumbsup:
still better than hanging around the house waiting for a good day.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel bad that your story makes me feel better.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It was amazing! At one point the whole ice field by Lally's was moving as a unit. It was looking as some kind of a strange moving forest. I got some pictures:

This ice is pretty thick here (this is the Mary Jane Thurstin park at the dam):

The marina near the park:

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
March is an endlessly cold and windy month here. I am just thankful my bees had a chance to fly adequately but it is supposed to be down to 8F tonight and another week ten degrees or better below average. By then it will almost be too late for March to go out like a Lamb.

Watching ice go out is a study in raw power! Glad you escaped damage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts