Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I started my tbh about a month ago.
They are doing great, brood has been hatching.
My question is
A couple of the combs curve towards the comb next to it near the ends of the top bar.
Last week I tried cutting off the curved part (just filled with nector). My inspection yesterday showed that the bees fixed it but it still curves but not as bad.
Is till have good access to get the curved ones out but I'm concerned that it's going to get worst down the line.
I thought about pushing the curves part over, it's about two inches from each end where it starts the curve, but wasn't sure I could because this comb is full size.

Responses would be appreciated.

Have a great weekend and thank you.

Eric

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YOU ARE THE BOMB.

Great video, I wished I saw that 5 weeks ago.
Every new beek should watch this.

Thank you,
Eric

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,445 Posts
Hello all,
I started my tbh about a month ago.
They are doing great, brood has been hatching.
My question is
A couple of the combs curve towards the comb next to it near the ends of the top bar.
Last week I tried cutting off the curved part (just filled with nector). My inspection yesterday showed that the bees fixed it but it still curves but not as bad.
Is till have good access to get the curved ones out but I'm concerned that it's going to get worst down the line.
I thought about pushing the curves part over, it's about two inches from each end where it starts the curve, but wasn't sure I could because this comb is full size.

Responses would be appreciated.

Have a great weekend and thank you.

Eric
How wide are your top bars?

Brand new comb I'd be very worried it was going to rip completely off if I tried to straighten it. Slightly older comb you could probably smash over straight and let them fix it up pretty easily. Maybe wait until it has a brood cycle through it?

Or if you have two straight combs cut the curved parts off of the "bad" ones and put them between the straight ones for repair.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great advise thank you.

What's the best way to clear the area I'm working on of bees?
I'm thinking blowing on them. I don't want to brush for fear of queen damage.
Any other thoughts or ideas?
Thx
Eric

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Great advise thank you.

What's the best way to clear the area I'm working on of bees?
I'm thinking blowing on them. I don't want to brush for fear of queen damage.
Any other thoughts or ideas?
Thx
Eric

a little puff of smoke will run em the other way. and yes, just mash it over straight and if you can put it itbetween to perfect combs for repair, even better. One straight comb leads to another, but I have noticed if there it too much room behind the last comb and the follower board they will start to turn the last comb so only give them the space they need and not much more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bars are 18" the inside of the hive wall at the top is 16 1/2.
At the bottom around 6". Walls taper in at 30 degrees.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bars are 18" long. At the top the inside walls are 16 1/2".
At the bottom around 6".
The walls taper in at a 30 degree angle.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have one hive with 20" bars. Given any room, the bees will always try to curve the ends, so I do like Harley and never give them any extra room on the ends of the hive. Empty bars always go in between straight combs. Starting out, though, there aren't full combs to put empty bars between, and I had to do the same thing as shown in the video. It usually worked (if the comb stayed where I mushed them, but that didn't always happen and they would sometimes bend back. Persistence is the key).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jon, about how many bars back do you notice curving? My hive is to new for me to find out just yet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
They'll start curving from the first one, if given the chance and the bars are long enough, usually the last several inches on both sides. Granted, my comb guides at the time were not what I use now. I use wedges when I start a new hive now and I use shorter bars, but I didn't with that one (it was my first). If you have wedges, they might be good and stay on course for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts