Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I've got a 2-deep hive thats just about to burst, but can't throw honey supers on for another few weeks (finished AFB treatments last weekend; 3 more weeks to go before honey supers can go on).

In a normal situation; I might split them... lose ~3.5-4 weeks for a new queen, then another couple weeks for brood...

It just so happens that I have a queen-right 5-frame nuc (atleast it should be queen-right... she should have started laying on Tuesday; I haven't been in to check yet).

Assuming that nuc is queen-right... whats the best way to combine? Make the split (take away one box), give them a day without a queen, then do a newspaper combine?

Put the nuc into a 10-frame box before combining? Or set the nuc ontop of the deep (with newspaper), and put a cover over the other "half" of the hive, wait a few days, then replace the nuc box with a deep box?

Of course... at some point next week, I'll be getting some new 'toys' in the mail... Nicot queen rearing system, queen marking paint pen... I'd love to mark the queen in the nuc before I combine it, to make finding her easier... but the existing 2-deep hive is starting to boil over, and I need to go through and check for swarm cells this weekend.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...Or set the nuc ontop of the deep (with newspaper), and put a cover over the other "half" of the hive, wait a few days, then replace the nuc box with a deep box?..."
thats what i'd do. good luck,mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts