Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my previous post I described an issue I ran into when trying to move two nucs into a resource hive. Long story short I think I screwed up and set one colony back inadvertently. and now we're getting well into the cooler weather so I'm not sure it has ruined to rebound.

So when I do my final inspection coming up, and IF I verify my fears above, my plan B with that weakened nuc colony is to combine it with the other, stronger nuc colony. Is it as simple as squashing the queen and moving the frames in or will I need to do a newspaper combo even after ousting the one queen?

Better to combine them into a single side of the resources hive with the other side now empty, or to put into a full ten frame box as a single stack?

Any other insights to things I may be overlooking? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
743 Posts
I’ll let someone more experienced in combining answer that question. I would not move them to a 10 frame this close to winter. I would much prefer keeping them in 1/2 of a resource hive. I over wintered a mid October swarm that way last year successfully In 6a. Something about a vertical stack is preferred by the bees while a horizontal setup would spread them out too much this late prior to winter. Keep them tight and vertical.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Remove the queen from the weak colony. Is it a one story nuc? Remove the strong one from the bottom board. Place the weak queenless one on the bottom board of the strong. Dose it with 2:1 syrup...drizzling syrup on that nuc. Then drizzle syrup on the bottom bars of the stronger nuc. Then unite and drizzle syrup on the top bars of the strong nuc. Enough syrup so they get coated but not so it runs out the bottom entrance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts