Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two queenless hives with lots of bees and food stores. I have three nucs with new accepted queens and three frames of brood and nectar. How do I combine the queen right nuc bees with the queenless bees without queens being killed. I have done many splits and new queen introductions with a small amount of bees, brood and nectar.

Do I have to cage the queens again and introduce them to all the combined bees or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance.

Soapy

·
Registered
240 Posts
put them in a deep over the queenless hive with a sheet of news paper in between the boxes.cut a few small holes in paper.they will remove the paper after the combine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized I have a couple double screen boards. Will they do the same thing for a few days and then remove them?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Of course they won't, but it can be another way for the queenless bees to be with the new queen and her pheromones for a few days before removal of the screened board.

Brac, I don't put questions on this or any other forum for an inane response. If my question is stupid or shows lack of understanding, please answer it with a helpful suggestion or don't answer it at all.

The one thing I have always liked about this forum as opposed to others I have visited for other hobbies/interests is the total lack of sarcasm and the responses to everyone's most basic questions. Not so in this case.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
My guess is that most people use newspaper because it work so well. I believe the theory is that there is a gradual mix of scents and by the time the newspaper is no longer a complete barrier and calm prevails. If you put the double screen board in there is going to be a lot of facing off at the screen at first, but after a couple of days they should be used to each other. Did you have another reason for wanting to use the boards?

·
Registered
323 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup:Right on!!!
Of course they won't, but it can be another way for the queenless bees to be with the new queen and her pheromones for a few days before removal of the screened board.

Brac, I don't put questions on this or any other forum for an inane response. If my question is stupid or shows lack of understanding, please answer it with a helpful suggestion or don't answer it at all.

The one thing I have always liked about this forum as opposed to others I have visited for other hobbies/interests is the total lack of sarcasm and the responses to everyone's most basic questions. Not so in this case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts