Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten an idea in my head that when it is desireable to move a frame with bees from one hive to another, there is a likelhood that serious fighting would break out and many dead bees will die. I guess I got this from the practice of using newspaper to do combines. I am hesitant to add frames with open brood (with bees) when I have a queenless hive, fearing the worst. In recent weeks I have heard otherwise, that the threat of all out war is very overrated.

I would appreciate input from the experience of more seasoned beeks on this. Can frames with bees be moved from one hive to another routinely? Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
yes, it's done all the time. It's best to move a brood frame with mostly nurse bees so give it a moderate shake to knock off the older bees. The young nurse bees will hold tight to the brood. Check real well that the queen isn't on it.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I do not even give them a shake, the forager bees don't even realize they are in a different hive in most instances the pheromones from the brood tend to mask the queen a bit. Just Me, But if I am trying to give a hive a boost I want to give it the best I cam, and every nurse helps. once they leave the hive they return home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.