Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very weak colony that is queenright, though only a frame of young nurse bees. The queen might be the original, or she might be a superseded mated or virgin -- they had had a queen cell hatch out -- but due to questions of drone population and the fact that I still dont see her laying after 2 weeks -- I really don't know what the deal is with her.

I'm wondering if this is a way to possibly save her and her little colony --- without stealing brood to boost her from my other very young hives.

Basically -- a newspaper combine, over a queen excluder, this one on top of a stronger new hive I have.

Does this have any chance?

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Yes, it might have a chance. Make sure there is an entrance of some sort above the excluder. Keep the bottom entrance open too, naturally. This is how I've done it in the past. I didn't use the newspaper. The entrance above the excluder was small, a three quarter inch hole drilled near the bottom of the box on top of the excluder works.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
Yes, it might have a chance. Make sure there is an entrance of some sort above the excluder. Keep the bottom entrance open too, naturally. This is how I've done it in the past. I didn't use the newspaper. The entrance above the excluder was small, a three quarter inch hole drilled near the bottom of the box on top of the excluder works.
What would this do for the upper hive? Sharing foragers? Thanks, Deb

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thinking was it would share foragers as well as many more nurse bees, food, all resources.

Best of all worlds it would eventually become a powerhouse 2 queen hive --- but at least allow the tiny colony and queen to survive. If it turned out she was not mated at all, that would be easy to deal with.

I think I'll try this, not much to lose really, at this point, thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

Well it was a good idea, sadly there was aggression to the weaker queen which I feared might happen--

took them and placed in an observation hive, and really I think this is their best chance now. Will feed, nurture, and report -- the second she is laying what is worker brood - or ANY brood! - I will be adding a frame of boost.

Will update!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts