Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone tell me if this sounds crazy...
3rd yr trying this beek thing, watched my most productive hive thus far this year swarm today (despite my best efforts at swarm prevention) and settle in the neighbor's tree. Gave them a couple hrs to settle down then easily put them in a new box and they seemed to have settled right in , taking syrup, etc. I was wondering, could I give them a couple of weeks in their new hive, then use the newspaper method of combining them back with their original hive, as long as I got rid of one queen? My reason for wanting to do this is because that hive was really making a good amt of honey, and I've read plenty of times that one large hive will make much more honey than that same hive split into 2.
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
577 Posts
You may use the newspaper method to reunite them with the original hive. Another good plan would have been to move the swarmed hive to a new location within the apiary, and then install the swarm in a box of its own in the original position. The swarmed hive will not swarm again because it will lose all its foraging bees to the new hive with the swarm in it. This new hive will be boosted by all the returning foragers from the swarmed hive and will be strong enough to produce a good crop. This all assumes that the swarm occured early during or just prior to your nectar flow. I often use this method to get comb honey. I'd let the swarm draw out some comb before reuniting them as this is one of the best uses for swarms.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts