Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking off 5 frames from my house trap-out tomorrow and combing them with the nuc I started from this trap-out. Saying there is no queen. News paper OK?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So you're combining bees from the same hive and still need to use newspaper? That's good to know. Last weekend I pulled 3 frames of bees and the queen from a Hogan trap I have (my first trap-out), and I'm going back again this weekend to get whatever bees are now in the trap. I was thinking I could pour whatever bees I catch this weekend in with the hive I started from the same colony last weekend, but I guess my thinking was wrong.

Is there a specific amount of time you have to combine bees from the same colony without having to use newspaper? Bret

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I would say normally 24 hours. More than that, they may not recognize each other.

I like to use a double screen and I leave it on a week or 10 days. No hurry to remove it and no danger that they may chew through too quickly.

Perhaps some expert on this subject could chime in here.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took off 4 more frames of bees today. I used the news paper with another box to add them to the Nuc from the same colony. There was a lot of bees I had to shake into the top box after I placed the frames in. A lot of them went air born. These bees have been apart for about two weeks. The bees that went air born little by little landed at the front door to the hive and walked in past the guard bees with no problems. Now I just moved the Nuc to a hive box this morning. I added the other bees this afternoon. I seen no fighting at all. Don't know if there was maybe a little confusion after all the action.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts