Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Made a slit awhile a go and it seems like it might be a laying worker hive. I am still keeping my fingers crossed. There was a good number of queen cells and they hatched on Thursday or Friday last week and I saw the queen in one nuc but not the other. Found the queen from the same nuc today but still no eggs. the other nuc had maybe a 4 inch circle with eggs but alot of them had 2 maybe 3 eggs in them and I did not find the queen. Sorry to ramble on. I was going to give this nuc a while longer and if still same then combine back with original hive. Will this work or if they really are laying workers will they kill my other queen?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
A "new" queen, one that has little experience laying eggs, will often lay more than one egg in a cell till she "learn how it's done".

After the "4 inch circle" is capped, see if cappings look "normal" (I'll bet they will :)).
If they are raised, like "bullets", that could be a sign of laying workers.

Other note - Laying workers do NOT lay eggs in a tight group (ie, "circle"). The brood is very scattered.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Yep, some queens like to practice first, kinda like a little league workout. She'll soon get the hang of it. I find it helps to have a feeder on my mating nucs, don't know if you do or not, and don't know your flow conditions there. Sometimes a feeder is actually a bad idea if you are in a dearth because of robbing they can cause in a weak hive.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have an in hive feeder in both. I am worried about robbing and am trying to close the entrance way down. they went though a 1/2-3/4 gallon in like 3 days and they are not that big of hives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts