Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do a newspaper method combine of two weak hives.
This is the first time I've done this so I have a few questions...

1. How thick should the layer of Newspaper be?
2. What size holes and how many should I put in the paper?
3. Should I have an inner cover with, or with out an exit hole in it when I do the combining?
4. How long should it take for them to "accept:" each other?
5 When do you combine them? At night so that all of the bees are in the boxes when it happens?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use 1 sheet of newspaper. I cut slits with the hive tool, maybe an inch or 2 long, in 5 or 6 places. It was hot when I combined mine, so I put a stick under the top cover so both sides could get out...I believe by the next day that mine were thru the paper. I can't remember the exact time, but zi believe it was mid afternoon when I combined mine. not sure it really matters, but wait for more input:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Duck in combing them during the day I was concerned of the ones that got moved to not be able to locate the hive to return to it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
i would not combine 2 weak hives - they are weak for a reason - mainly queen issues - but i would rather combine them with 2 stronger hives

just one sheet of paper is all that is needed - 5-7 slits about 2inches long

i also place a queen excluder on top of the paper - easier to get it to stay if windy and if there was a queen that i missed - i have a chance to remove her

i do the splits early in the day so that the bee have all day to figure it out

hope that helps

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I use one sheet no holes eairly in the morning.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
i also place a queen excluder on top of the paper - easier to get it to stay if windy and if there was a queen that i missed - i have a chance to remove her
That's a good idea...

I poke a number of little holes, about 1/8" dia. or smaller through the paper with a twig.

With slits, if the newspaper should twist or move while positioning the upper box, the slits could become wide openings instantly.

That's simply my preference...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I took 4 frames of bees with their queen and sat on top of a hive that I suspected of having a laying worker with a single sheet of newspaper between them , no holes or slits and in 3 days they had almost all of it out the door. Everything went well. Of course I wasn't combining weak hives and didn't have the issue of bee's not being able to find their hive. Early morning makes sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts