Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2019 package that the queen is only laying drones. She was tiny when she arrived so maybe she wasnt bred well. I have another hive that overwintered and the queen is just slow. Last year she was always slow. Never builds up a big brood nest, but they overwintered just fine. She lays a solid pattern, but only about baseball size.

I have looked 2 times in the drone layer box for the queen, but just couldnt spot her. I have checked and there are not multiple eggs in the cells so I think it is the queen. Well this morning I placed a sheet of paper over the drone layer hive, cut a slit in it and placed the slow queen hive ( 1 deep and a mediuim ) on top of the paper. My hope is this works. I am a little worried since I couldnt remove the drone layer queen though. I guess if they kill the slow queen they can use some of her eggs to make a new queen.

How long should I wait before I look back in there to see what is going on?
Anything else I should watch for?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Your best bet woulda been to shake all the bees from the drone layer hive thru a queen excluder to find and squish her.

Then instead of newspaper, I think this is the perfect use of a screen bottom board. If you place most of them just right both hives will not have an adjacent entrance to fight at. Screen will allow them to get to know each other. After a few days remove screen board. Works with laying worker hives as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts