Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read allot about newspaper combines and done a few myself. But, what is the outcome of just combining them. Lets say a queen-less hive and a queened hive just putting the box on top. Do they attack?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have read allot about newspaper combines and done a few myself. But, what is the outcome of just combining them. Lets say a queen-less hive and a queened hive just putting the box on top. Do they attack?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just combined a few hives when I split this year, I was told it would upset them for a few days but it wouldn't hurt anything to just put them together, all seems fine with no obvious problems.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You would figure one group would say "hey more help yea" or "darn more mouths to feed" , the other would say "what less workers that means more work for us lets go back to the big hive". or

It could be worse they could have a drone named Leonidas who could say "Give them nothing! But take from them everything!" Spartans! Enjoy your breakfast, for tonight we dine in Hell! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
An old beekeeper told me that you can spray the bees with water with a little bit of vanilla extract in it when you combine.
Said that they would all smell the same and would not fight but to use just a little vanilla extract.
I assume just a few drops and i assume he meant sugar water.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I suspect that it depends on the strength of the hives and whether there is a flow of any kind going on. I am more likely to try this kind of thing with small hives and a flow. What I do is use lots of smoke in both hives. When everything clears they seem to be friends.

Newspaper is more certain.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Use one sheet and use your hive tool to cut a couple of very small slits about 1/2" long. Don't make holes, just slits. They'll chew through within a few hours, but by that time will be on good terms with each other. They'll also chew up all the paper and carry it out so you'll eventually only have to remove whatever was outside the hive.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
You can combine baby bees easily. Field bees don't accept new bees inside the hive very easy.

Bees will accept strange bees at the entrance of the hive. Bees won't accept strange bees inside the hive.

If you want to combine without newspaper...

Lay a lid on the ground upside down. Place the box of bees on top of the lid. Smoke them heavily to drive them down to the bottom of the box. Grab the box and bang/slam it against the lid a few times to shake/knock the bees out of the box. Remove the box. You now have a lid full of bees. Dump this lid full of bees at the entrance of the hive they are to be combined with. Place the box you shook the bees out of on the hive the bees are to be combined with.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes generaly the bees will battle, and you stand a chance that your queen will be killed.

I can't say I've done it, always just thrown a sheet of paper between them,

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But I can swap a small hive with a larger hive to get all the field bee's when they return?

How Can I just add one frame of bee's from a strong hive.? I am guessing add another box with news paper and one frame up top.? How long until I can move that frame down to the lower box?

I just want to give hives that have had alot of drift a fighting chance from the hive that got all the drift.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
EastSideBuzz...

But I can swap a small hive with a larger hive to get all the field bee's when they return?
Yes, refer to Countryboy's post, also, field bees returning have some nectar or pollen to bring into the colony, strangers bearing gifts.

How Can I just add one frame of bee's from a strong hive.?
A frame of larva or brood with adhering nurse bees are no threat, they are an asset to the strength of the hive and will be accepted. Just add it right in close into the brood nest.

I am guessing add another box with news paper and one frame up top.? How long until I can move that frame down to the lower box?
No, not needed at all.

I just want to give hives that have had alot of drift a fighting chance from the hive that got all the drift.
You can swap positions of the hives. Depending on the distance from each other and entrance orientation and such, you will get more or less percentage of drift-back, but this is one way to boost a weaker hive from a stronger. If there is a great difference in strength between the two hives, you can swap positions and also give the weaker hive a frame of sealed brood with adhering bees from the stronger hive. Just be careful not to weaken the stronger of the two hives when trying to boost a weaker one.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the reconfirmation of things I thought. I love this forum. I told my son to wait until noon or so to do the swap so that they are out in the field. Assuming it is not raining.

I packaged 20 packages and one hive got drift from all the packages. Must have had a strong smelling queen. I have one hive with 10 frames covered with bee's and several others with 1-3 frames of bee's and then some in between. I would like to add to the 1-3 frames that are struggling. So we will pull a frame of brood from from the drift hive as well as some of last years hives that are 20 packed frames strong.

thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts