Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice....

Started with an double deep 8 frame hive that lost the queen. I took the opportunity to make splits out of the hive since it was well populated. I split off two EZ Nucs and also left the original hive to requeen. Original hive produced queen. One of the two EZ Nucs produced a queen. Have one queen-less nuc. Queen-less nuc has no brood/larvae/eggs remaining, but has a large population of bees.

Question:
Should I combine the two Nucs into one hive to boost it's production faster, or add eggs from another hive to the queen-less nuc and let them try again?

I am already plus one queen, so I'm just wondering if either way has a clear advantage besides possible gaining another colony.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I had rather have one strong hive over two weak hives.

Reactions: rdimanin

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,455 Posts
yes just combine the 2 Nucs and be ok with a 1 for 2 split.
I often do not get every split Queened.
So I make extra like 8 if I want 6, so in this case I would just add the 2 NUCs togather.
maybe next time try for more splits. I have taken a 3 10 deep setup to 6 5 frame NUCs, so really it is up to how many queen cells you have to use.

tip, add an extra deep to the hive you wish to split next spring right when you pull honey.IE trap out 3 supers and add a deep the same day. then in spring it is a big strong hive.

GG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts