Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to newspaper combine. I have never combined before so I have a question. I'm combining a small queenless swarm with a small queenright nuc. I'm putting the queenless in the top box. Do I need to give them an entrance in the top box or is the point to keep them sealed in it? I don't know how fast they will chew through the paper but its hot and I worry about them getting too hot in the top box with no ventilation. Do I need to put any frames in there with them or will they make it through the newspaper quick enough? They made some queen cells that I am giving to another queenless swarm. Thoughts??? :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
1 sheet of paper with some holes punched in it....won't take long. In Mississippi I cracked the top because it's hot...

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I would put a couple of frames in with the swarm, some comb filled with syrup would keep them happy. It would be best if they're happy.

I would also provide a small entrance.

... that's what I would do

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
I don't know how fast they will chew through the paper but its hot and I worry about them getting too hot in the top box with no ventilation.
I found that if you use the comic section of the paper, it takes the bees a little longer to chew through. They tend to get sidetracked more with the funnies. :lookout:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha! Good to know Barry, I'll make sure I use the business or sports section instead. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm goin for it today.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just newspaper them together...the bees chew through pretty quickly. Good luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gave them the local sale barn figures from our farm and neighbor newspaper. That way they will chew through quicker and not dilly dally so long reading. :D I didn't get around to it till today but we'll see how it goes I guess. Thanks ya'll!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts