Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a NUC with new queen.

I have a single hive that survived the winter, however it no longer has a queen. There are some cells (less than 2 dozen) with brood from laying workers.

Can I combine these two hives?

Advantage is I would have more bees. But risks may include the old hive killing the new queen. Plus other factors?

Thanks,
michael

·
Registered
509 Posts
Remove the cover and put metal screen (like window screen) on top of the lw hive. Put the nuc in the same size box as the lw hive and place it on top of the lw hive and screen. Put a bottom board on top (upside down) to give the nuc a top entrance. Come back in a week and remove the screen from between the boxes.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,547 Posts
How many bees are left? if it is a frame or less it is not likely worth the risk.
IF you think they are only queen less then most likely ok to combine.
If they are knocked down from some sort of a death sentence then you may infect the new bees with the old.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
There are some cells (less than 2 dozen) with brood from laying workers.
LWs are not usually shy about laying eggs. Do you have the classic capped brood in worker cells? It is perfectly normal to have a broodless period with normal queen turnover. Perfectly normal to have a new queen lay multiple eggs. Just wondering.

Relative size of the two hives is an important question. From there are lots of methods. If you go the screen route shake off some frames and do a swap, might as well get the LW bees doing good work and the new queen more space to lay, her bees will start cleaning up the mess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts