Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to combine 5 frame nucs that have fixed bottom boards . One has no queen . Any ideas on how I do it? Do I use newspaper on top of the queen rite nuc ? How do I get all bees in the other box w/ o a fight?

·
Registered
718 Posts
May seem odd, but try and place a ten frame on top of the nucs with newspaper in between the nucs and the 10 frame. Once they combine (2-3 days) you can move the frames about any way you like.
Now that's a heck of an idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Jdr, if you want to work only with the two nucs, do this: Place a piece of newspaper (or two) on top of the queenright nuc. Cut two or three slits in it, a few inches long each. Now place the queenless nuc on top of that one. Put a couple of small sticks between the boxes on one side to give them some ventilation. You do not need to have it cracked enough so that they can get out...they will be through the paper overnight or quicker.

It's best to do this in the evening when more bees are home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that's a heck of an idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Jdr, if you want to work only with the two nucs, do this: Place a piece of newspaper (or two) on top of the queenright nuc. Cut two or three slits in it, a few inches long each. Now place the queenless nuc on top of that one. Put a couple of small sticks between the boxes on one side to give them some ventilation. You do not need to have it cracked enough so that they can get out...they will be through the paper overnight or quicker.

It's best to do this in the evening when more bees are home.
Not sure how to do that if the bottom board is nailed to the bottom of each nuc?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I haven't tried this but over on another forum I seen Iddiee say to just shake em out 3 feet in front of the queen rite hive. You have to take the old nuc away.
I misspelled his name but I'm pretty sure this would work.
I have combined bees several times without newspaper and no problems, did it tonight as a matter of fact. Though I won't know if I had problems until tomorrow.

I have combined queen less nucs with queen rite nucs by putting them both in a 10 frame box.
One nuc on a side and the other on the other side. Smoke is good here but I don't always use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts