Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on one of the lists that the queen will not lay eggs in comb that had previously been used to store honey. Is this strictly true? I put a deep of foundation on to be drawn out and the girls drew it out quickly and filled it with honey before I got back to check on it. I had planned to use it for brood nest in the future. How do you get comb drawn and teach the girls not to store nectar in it?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Another myth. If this were true, then they would have to expand the broodnest to new areas every year, as each year the girls will backfill the broodnest with nector for winter stores, or in preperation for swarming.

"How do you get comb drawn and teach the girls not to store nectar in it?"

Bees do what bees do, there is no teaching them. It is better to antiapate what they will do, and do your manipulations before they do it.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
hilreal--last year I put a freshly extracted super on top of a hives inner cover, the hive had two capped supers of honey and by the time I got back to the extracted super to check on how dry it was the queen had layed drone eggs and all were capped, what a shocker that was!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I read on one of the lists that the queen will not lay eggs in comb that had previously been used to store honey. Is this strictly true?

Not at all true.

> I put a deep of foundation on to be drawn out and the girls drew it out quickly and filled it with honey before I got back to check on it. I had planned to use it for brood nest in the future.

Good plan.

>How do you get comb drawn and teach the girls not to store nectar in it?

If you figure out how to teach a bee to do anything, I'd like to watch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts