Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a 3 lb package of carniolans two weeks ago. I added an empty brood box on top so I could put a syrup feeder in the hive. I opened the hive today and the bees had built a lot of comb in the top box without any frames. I would like to remove the top brood box and add a Queen excluder and a Honey super. My question is, do I just destroy the comb that they have built so I can add the honey super with frames, or how do I go about fixing this situation?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
How straight is the comb? Does it already have eggs in it?

If it is fairly straight I would just rubber band it into frames, and checkerboard 1-2 frames at a time between the existing drawn brood frames so it is drawn sort of straight. If there is eggs/larve this may be a more sensitive operation but it can probably still be done.

If it is really crooked there is not much you can do beyond destroying it. You might be able to rubber band it into some frames, but that may end up with a bunch of wonky frames.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Remove the top box and the comb in it. Its too early to add a super. Leave them in just the lower box for now until they have built comb in 80% of the bottom box. What kind of a feeder are you using?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I built a simple feeder from 3 pieces of wood. Two sides and a top with a hole cut in it the exact size of a mason jar lid. Punched a bunch of holes in the lid, filled the jar with syrup and put it in upside down

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I built a simple feeder from 3 pieces of wood. Two sides and a top with a hole cut in it the exact size of a mason jar lid. Punched a bunch of holes in the lid, filled the jar with syrup and put it in upside down
Modify it so that the bees can't get out of the feeding space and into the empty protective super, like this:

innercoverfdr.png

Then you can place it over the vent in the inner cover and surround it with a super. This one is offset so any syrup drips won't drip through the hole directly onto bees. They can come up and feed but they can't get out into the upper area and build comb. By the time fall feeding comes around you may want something that can deliver syrup a lot more efficiently. You can modify the jar feeder to hold four jars, or use a rapid feeder or top feeder. With a top feeder a strong colony can take a gallon of syrup a day.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,522 Posts
Modify it so that the bees can't get out of the feeding space, like this:

View attachment 55611

Then you can place it over the vent in the inner cover and surround it with a super. They can come up and feed but they can't get out into the upper area and build comb. For fall feeding you will want something that can deliver feed a lot more efficiently. You can modify the jar feeder to hold four jars, or use a rapid feeder or top feeder. With a top feeder a strong colony can take a gallon of syrup a day.
good idea JConnolly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts