Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent this weekend three nucs from two of my hives. I was doing it under the mentoring of a former commercial beekeeper (he had about 800 hives until the mites hit). Some of the frames we were working with had irregular drone comb on the bottom as well as cells that are drawn too deep (mostly the upper band of cells where honey is stored). When we went to mix the frames up and make the nucs the frames would not really fit together because of the drone comb and extra deep cells in places. He said it was not necessary to scrap off the drone comb and that if the frames were drawn too deep just to shove them together and the bees would take care of it. This has not been my experience because last year I shoved some frames together and the bees braced them all together. I have heard of bees tearing down cells if they were to deep but I'm not sure if this is true. Is it really ok to just shove the frames together and if not what do you do?

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
I would not. knock it down with a capping scrapper, fork or your hive tool.

it is also my practice to regularly knock down any excess drone cells.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
You can cut protruding honey comb off. I usually keep a cold uncapping knife around for this. Sometimes they burr combs together. If they need to get the honey out they will chew down into it and might open it up. I don't like to just press them together.

·
Registered
971 Posts
[ April 06, 2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: SilverFox ]

·
Registered
971 Posts
Chief glad you found someone fairly close to mentor you. If it were me I'd trim the frames and wax to make it fit.
Remember, tho, what works for one may not work for you. Experiment and see which way is going to meet your needs and style and will be the best for what you are trying to achieve.
Take into consideration all suggestions and observations, weed out, condense, combine, experiment, you will come up with what makes the most sense and benifits you in the long run. Above all don't be afraid to 'run' your ideas past all the 'good 'ol boys-and girls-here'.
Alot of good advice.
Hopefully you can discuss the ideas with your mentor, and he's not one of the 'my way or the highway' type, I've met quite a few of them.
One day I hope you can meet the 'ol boy I help and swap ideas with.

[ April 06, 2006, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: SilverFox ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts