Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a heated uncapping knife (yet) so am using a cappings scratcher/roller to uncap before extracting. Even though I'm doing this as carefully as I can, after extracting the comb is pretty beat up - some was already wavy and some is wavy after the process.

After the bees clean this up, will the comb always be wavy and messed up? Will it be ok to use this (new, white) comb to replace older brood combs? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
219 Posts
The bees will make it look like new again.
You could use a fillet knife are bread knife. They would be faster than a capping scratcher and neater

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should put the extracted frames back in so the bees can clean up the honey that is left and they will fix and correct the comb that is messed up it will only take a few days.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I may try the filet knife or bread knife. The cost of the hot knife is so high I can't justify it yet... I appreciate the tips!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just watched a video where the guy is uncapping by very quickly running a heat gun over white/dry cappings. Looks really easy. He addresses the concerns re heating the honey in part two, saying you very quickly melt the cappings...and that it only works with the high/dry cappings (that don't touch the honey underneath). It looks so easy (and the comb is so intact afterwards), but I'd be a little worried about burning the honey I think..though I guess that's a risk with a hot knife too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eym8rxYeLTc

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I've tried the blowgun method. The by the time you have finished heating the 3rd frame, the first has already cooled and the wax hardened again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts