Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hived package bees 7 days ago.
Brushy Mt Garden hive, 8 frame.
Checking to see if the queen is released (she is) and remove cage.
Snow and cold until today so first chance to check was this afternoon.
Lift off top, looks good... wait, is that comb I see across the top cover vent opening?

Flip it over and yup, they have drawn comb down into the space where the center, but not installed, frame should have been.

Now, what to do?

Brush the bees into the hive, cut off the comb and leave it
In front of the hive?

Flip the inner cover over with the bees on it, add frame under it, put top back on over bees and comb?

·
Registered
131 Posts
...or cut the comb off the board and rubber band it into a frame?
Hey Willy,

Greetings from Cincinncati. Just noticed you're in Lander. My parents live there. Do you happen to know Joe and Leslye Hutto? Anyway, how are the conditions for bees in Lander? It seems like it would be a tough environment for them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Willy,

Greetings from Cincinncati. Just noticed you're in Lander. My parents live there. Do you happen to know Joe and Leslye Hutto? Anyway, how are the conditions for bees in Lander? It seems like it would be a tough environment for them.
I don't recall meeting anyone named Hutto.
Lander is one of the milder climates in the state, we are the least windy for certain and winters are much less of a problem compared to 75% of the state. Lots of agriculture near and around town, hay and alfalfa. Today is the first warm day sense I hived the girls and they are flying like crazy and packing lots of pollen (dandelion), so I better get into the hive in the morning and cut that comb before they fill it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't recall meeting anyone named Hutto.
Lander is one of the milder climates in the state, we are the least windy for certain and winters are much less of a problem compared to 75% of the state. Lots of agriculture near and around town, hay and alfalfa. Today is the first warm day sense I hived the girls and they are flying like crazy and packing lots of pollen (dandelion), so I better get into the hive in the morning and cut that comb before they fill it.
Understood:) I had a similar problem with extra comb that I've been addressing. I just crumpled up newspaper to fill that space and so far it's working.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts