Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
They are making bridge comb to allow them to move up and down between boxes more easily. Not an issue unless the queen starts laying in them or they put nectar there.
I remove it because it can cause issues pulling frames and because it is a good hiding spot for queen cells. Some leave it alone. If you want to remove, simply scrape off with your hive tool and put in your wax container. A plastic coffee can works for me. J

·
Registered
517 Posts
Given the space and a need to use it, the bees will extend the comb from the bottom of the comb. In fact I often run smaller frames in the deep brood box, and the bees will extend the comb below. Not always parallel to the comb, but that's another story.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Yup, just bridge come. Appropriately named as it's a bridge for the bees to get from one place to another.

Scrape it off, leave it, doesn't really matter and isn't a big deal in my eyes. If you scrape it, it's likely they'll just put it right back in place.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have some identical to these with larvae in them on a packed full frame in a 2 week old hive transferred from a healthy NUC. Does the presence of eggs in it matter? I just assume they wanted more cells.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have some identical to these with larvae in them on a packed full frame in a 2 week old hive transferred from a healthy NUC. Does the presence of eggs in it matter? I just assume they wanted more cells.
In my hives, there are often drones in the extra comb.

Reactions: gator75

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
It is called bridge comb. I leave it alone if it is not in my way. the bees build it as their roads and bridges. Why destroy their infrastructure for nothing? I do remove it about once a year in the spring so it does not harden to permanency.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts