Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made some great sugar boards (kind of like sugar cake pressed in) Worked great, added a pollen patty.

Opened it today. 75% gone, but they were building honeycomb in the sugar board frame, within those 2 inches from the mesh to the inner cover.

Why? I've some guesses, but would like your opinions.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'd just like to be able to pop the lid to check if the bees have sugar lol! The bees are making use of a empty space, if they're drawing comb, better check and make sure all your frames are filled out and if they are, slap a super on it. Don't want em to go into swarm mode.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Made some great sugar boards (kind of like sugar cake pressed in) Worked great, added a pollen patty.

Opened it today. 75% gone, but they were building honeycomb in the sugar board frame, within those 2 inches from the mesh to the inner cover.

Why? I've some guesses, but would like your opinions.

Rob.
Sounds like you have a flow on. I typically remove candy boards when the red maples bloom. Our bees start drawing new comb very shortly after that.

Shane

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I use 3 inch feeder rims on top of my wintering hives. about 20% will build comb up into the open space. Maybe the strongest 20%. It is just what they do and I get rid of it before they think of laying in it or storing anything. It is good for making candles when you scrape it off in the spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts