Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few of those 4-gallon plastic feeders that fit into a shallow super.

http://www.golden-bee.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16324&category_id=276

In 3 out of 4, the bees have moved up and begun building comb inside the feeder up against the top screen. I assume the queen is up there too, since thats where the majority of the bees are and shes no where to be found inside the hive body.

Im just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue with this style feeder, and what they did about it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Building comb - basically a ladder - is normal for these types of top-feeders. I haven't noticed a queen going up there - but given there's not much room to lay, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have had the queen go up and lay drones in the feeder. If you remove it they will just build it back. I just let it be.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I haven't noticed a queen going up there - but given there's not much room to lay, I wouldn't worry about it.
I beg to differ I hate those feeders I have four for sale 10 bucks each I'll even pay shipping I keep my shallows. I am going back to a flat bottom feeder. I have had a queen lay up there and You need to have a excluder on so she won't lay there. the bees use to much energy building the bur comb. when they can be drawing out foundation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts