Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if it is too late to put on a super for comb honey? It is almost August and here in PA we have had a dry, until the last couple of weeks, summer. I was hoping to try comb honey. Also, my two hives are new this year, but really, filled with bees. I am hope, hope, hoping to get at least a little honey to extract!
Thanks!
barbeebee

·
Registered
275 Posts
Comb honey is best done on the nectar flow. If you get a good Fall nectar flow then the bees might have the resources to make the comb and cap the honey. I usually set my colonies up to make some comb honey on the Spring nectar flow as it is more dependable.

Good luck,

Pete0
Bena, VA

·
Registered
146 Posts
Only my 3rd season keeping bees but I was once told to get them on by June up here. I did just that and had very good luck this year. So, if you're lucky enough to survive the winter then wait until next season. You'll be glad you did!

Don't jump the gun and take honey just for the sake of taking it... they'll need plenty for winter! Better to be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much! I have had a couple of bad over-winters where I lost my hives and several years when I didn't take off any honey, and there were filled supers still in place come spring. I think, but am not certain I will have at least a couple of shallow supers to extract this year, if all goes well. Will wait until next spring and try for the comb. I just love the bees, so that's my main concern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts