Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of an extreme example but some of my comb honey has bee bread mixed in is it useless to try to sale is there any health risk to it. I don’t know if nasties can grow in pollen cells without the bees taking care of it. I plan to freeze it 48 hrs regardless. Most of my comb honey has just a handful of pollen spots scattered about.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Most people who buy comb honey know it is a natural product and will have "imperfections".

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Oh heck yes! I agree w/ Ruth. I’d put that stuff out separate, I’ll bet it gets snapped up.
On your question of whether not it’ll ferment, honey is a lower PH to inhibit activity, and bee bread has enzymes to do the same.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,207 Posts
This is kind of an extreme example but some of my comb honey has bee bread mixed in is it useless to try to sale is there any health risk to it. I don’t know if nasties can grow in pollen cells without the bees taking care of it. I plan to freeze it 48 hrs regardless. Most of my comb honey has just a handful of pollen spots scattered about.
I happen to like it that way. I actually place high pollen content frames into the super to be filled with honey and eat them.
Clearly mark it "with some pollen" and make it a couple bucks higher, :) if anyone asks say it is rare to get pollen in honey frames , which is kind of true. and do not offer much more info, some will some won't so what see if it sells. BTW pollen has every know short and long chained amino acid. it is a very complete food. the bee bread is fermented pollen. as we ferment a cucumber into a pickle the bees ferment the pollen into bee bread. to make it last and to pre digest, same reasons we do it. The bears like it and so do I, :) or cut those pieces out and do crush and strain, for the non adventurous.
GG

·
Registered
838 Posts
some people will pay top dollar for bee bread. market it as such.
Wish I knew who those folks are. Made comb honey last three years, beautiful looking and tasting, packaged well and had a hard time even giving it away. Sold a few boxes but just no market in our area for it.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Label it Cookies 'N Cream Comb Honey Price it a dollar higher; seriously! I bet it moves. Certainly freeze it at least overnight to kill any shb or wax moth larvae. My son found this the hard way but fortunately just before it went out to customers.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Wish I knew who those folks are. Made comb honey last three years, beautiful looking and tasting, packaged well and had a hard time even giving it away. Sold a few boxes but just no market in our area for it.
I agree! I had a hard time selling the comb and chunk honey quarts. I put a few comb frames in this year but not as many as last year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts