1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
650 Posts
The serrated steak knife that you have in your kitchen drawer is what I've always used. Of course if you need an excuse for a new toy, go for it....

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you only have a couple to do, another kitchen choice would be the serrated bread knife....it's long, flexible and works very well.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
I use one of the cutters to mark it and then I cut it with a sharp paring knife. Judging by what I see in most people's kitchens, I don't think most people know what a sharp knife is... but a very sharp knife works better than anything else.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree with Michael. When I used to go to more conferences there seemed to always be someone selling paring knives with blades made from old band saw blades. These are not stainless, but can be sharpened to a scary razor edge that lasts a very long time. They are still my favorite.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Michael. When I used to go to more conferences there seemed to always be someone selling paring knives with blades made from old band saw blades. These are not stainless, but can be sharpened to a scary razor edge that lasts a very long time. They are still my favorite.
That is why I put the third link in my post. It is a high carbon blade on a knife used for grafting trees. High carbon blades are harder to find. They can dull a little quicker. But, they are easy to get very sharp.

I see lots of people recommend serrated knives. But, it seems that a serrated knife would be more likely to leave a rougher/tattered/crushed edge.

Tom

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree with Tom...I don't understand the emphasis on serrated blades. The comb is super easy to cut and does not want to crush (as does bread, which I associate most with serrated blades). It is important to cut cleanly and not crush so that the cut edges drain quickly and thoroughly.

Better yet...produce Ross Rounds, with no cutting required and no dripping, ever! :)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I used dental floss, made a perfect cut. I only did a couple frames though. Laid out the floss on the cooling rack, and just pulled it through itself. Made very clean cuts. i saw it on a video somewhere. G

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use a filleting knife. The blade is very thin and sharp, and it slides through the comb with a minimum of crushed cells.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Make sure the knife blade is not longer than the frame is wide (whichever size frames you use); otherwise the blade is raised up on one side or the other of the frame and won't make contact with the wax.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
The sequence I went through was to buy a cutter thinking it would speed the process. When it crushed the combs rather than cutting and sharpening did not resolve the issue, I went to the knife and used the cutter for marking before cutting. If I didn't already have the cutter, I might just cut a piece of plastic (like plastic lid from a margarine tub, which I would have to get from someone who actually eats margarine) and cut it to the size and use it for a template. That would be cheaper and would probably work well. I haven't done it, but it seems like that would be easy enough and cheaper.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Make sure the knife blade is not longer than the frame is wide (whichever size frames you use); otherwise the blade is raised up on one side or the other of the frame and won't make contact with the wax.
Im not sure I understand. I cut the combs out of the frames whole before cutting into pieces. G

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I also use a knife to cut the comb from the frame. I use shallows that are the exact height of my cutter. Then I use the cutter to cut the 4 pieces from each frame. No waste and the cuts look great to me (an no one has ever complained).

I rock the cutter slightly while cutting each section off. Then with the section in the cutter I move it to a draining rack for the night.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts