Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished watching Mike Palmer's lecture on Comb Honey. Very inspiring as I have tried and failed myself. But I learned a lot from the lecture. I was curious if anyone has had luck producing comb honey during a fall flow. For me it's mainly Goldenrod and Aster. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wouldnt say it was impossible, given the correct circumstances, but my girls dont like to draw a lot of comb on our fall flow. I have a hard time getting them to draw much after the summer flow is over, even with feeding.
If you have a nice heavy flow with a packed house and lots of bees foraging, I would say you maybe able to get some cuts. Would be a dark, thick honey, at least here it is.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There seems to be some inertia when it comes to wax production. I would think that if you had a growing/expanding colony like a July split or swarm that is still drawing foundation you might get them to produce some cut comb. It would be better with a single than a double and you would have to feed that colony heavily after the flow. Depends a lot on the strength and length of the flow too. Lots of variables.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts