Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked my hive for the second time after installing a package 2 weeks ago. It was a disaster. They are building on the first 4 bars but when I pulled the 4th one away from the next, part of them stuck together. After I got it out the comb fell off completely. I tried to mash it back to the bar (triangular guide, 1 1/4 inch bars) but to no avail. What should I do with it? After that, I used a serrated knife to cut between the next 2. It worked to keep them from sticking together, but I could see larvae exposed and hanging outside the cell. That seems awfully intrusive. Am I just getting too emotionally involved or is there a better way. Also, when putting it back together, I put an empty bar between each of the drawn bars. Was that a good move or not. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My internet is being really slow right now, but in one of this guy's you tube videos he shows a bar set up to hold comb for a cut up. It was a jaw hair clip ziptied to a top bar. he cut the zip tie off when the bees had attached the comb to the bar. I havn't tried it yet, but I tossed a clip (we have them laying around) and some zip ties into my bee tool box.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would put a piece of wood across the bottom of the comb and tie it up. But it may be less frustrating to just build some frames for the top bar hive to tie combs into when this happens. You only need a few.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts