Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve had numerous instances this year of wax being drawn perpendicular to new foundation (see photo) in areas on the frame. These are usually frames with other foundation frames flanking them (so not checkerboarded). We hoped they’d clean it up when the frame was more drawn but it seems they extend these sections and it becomes a mess.
We haven’t seen this before but may have simply missed it.
Any ideas on the reasons? My guess is they’re building these as “bridges” to get to adjacent frame. Any suggestions on preventing it - or is it a matter of scraping it off (early ideally)?

5FA6284B-BAF7-4DA3-8000-BC7D09F5DEE9.jpg

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
They also do the same thing with wax foundations. My opinion is too few adult bees when the foundations are placed on the hive. It also may be the nectar flow is not strong enough, or both.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sometimes, it just happens cause they wanna raise some drones. Scrape it off, earlier the better. Make sure your foundations are waxed, helps tremendously.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Add wax to foundation with a teeny bit of lemon grass oil in it. There must be a good population and flow to draw it out, no excluder. Bees hate plastic.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I dont even see enough comb in the OP's picture to indicate they are building perpendicular comb.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We haven’t added extra wax - will try that. I believe we ordered plastic foundation with extra wax coating in the past but likely didn’t do it this time around. That may well be the difference.
Now off to find a good wax melting setup...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am having some issues with Rite Cell this year. The comb they are pulling is brown instead of white as in the past.
I'll get a picture this afternoon.

Alex

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Here is a photo of the brown comb. Before this purchase of foundation the wax has always been white.

While not a big deal, it is just another example of corners being cut.
044.jpg

Alex

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
Are you suggesting the brown is an effect of the foundation?

Here is a photo of the brown comb. Before this purchase of foundation the wax has always been white.

While not a big deal, it is just another example of corners being cut.
View attachment 55425

Alex

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am thinking the brown is because the applied wax was not filtered well. This is the first time I have seen this and it's the only reason I can think of so, I'm certainly open to suggestions.
This is my fourth season using plastic foundation.

Alex

Edit; I have some natural color foundation for the medium supers that I just put on yesterday that was purchased at the same time. I will check that as soon as they begin drawing out.

Alex

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
The coating is so thin it would not influence the color. More likely your bees are harvesting comb to start building out the old comb. Or strengthening it with propolis.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Were your foundation frames pushed tight together? Spacing frames out tends to make this worse. Some colonies are worse doing this than others. When you find it, immediately fix it is usually the best practice.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Were your foundation frames pushed tight together? Spacing frames out tends to make this worse. Some colonies are worse doing this than others. When you find it, immediately fix it is usually the best practice.
+1. I have seen this done when the frames are spaced to far apart- like 9 frames in honey super, if one of them is not drawn out, it is likely to see sideways comb. They never fix it, it has to be scraped clean.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Odfrank, I have used two frames of that foundation in 12- five frame splits for expansion. I'll be sure to keep an eye out to see if it continues. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vance, if you were addressing me, I haven't had too much trouble with the perpendicular comb, I just kind of butted into this thread because the brown wax surprised me and I thought it might be of interest to the OP.
That is good information. This particular frame was inserted on the edge of the brood nest between drawn frames where I had removed a frame that had Q-cells on it. Second or third from the outside.

Alex

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
I am thinking the brown is because the applied wax was not filtered well. This is the first time I have seen this and it's the only reason I can think of so, I'm certainly open to suggestions.
This is my fourth season using plastic foundation.

Alex

Edit; I have some natural color foundation for the medium supers that I just put on yesterday that was purchased at the same time. I will check that as soon as they begin drawing out.

Alex
they may be using recycled wax if the flow is not going strong, likely lightens as the season moves forward.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Bees don't like plastic.
LJ
+1

Last year I checker-boarded plastic frames with wooden/wax foundation frames in a honey super - just an experiment since I had the frames to play with.
ALL plastic frames were ignored where "normal" frames were made double-thick.
I just pulled the plastic out as undesirable.

I have also seen video where the same was documented (plastic foundation vs. wax foundation).

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I found 6 more frames with brown comb yesterday. I marked them so I can keep an eye on them.
Our flow has been sporadic with a late killing frost about a month ago and unseasonably cool weather. We had another light frost last night, frost on the roofs of cars, but not on the ground. Our forecast low as 41.
I have just never seen them do that. I started using plastic 4 years ago in the honey supers then the next year in the brood chambers. I have never seen it on wax foundation. I guess there is more wax present.

I have heard so much about contaminated wax that my mind immediately jump to dirty wax.

Alex

1 - 20 of 25 Posts