Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my bees shut down for the winter. Saw a bit of web on the bottom board and feared I may have wax moth. It could have been a spider nesting under the hive.... not sure. Today was warm enough to open up the hive and peek, but not warm enough to open it up wide and inspect the bottom brood chamber. The frames up top have some honey in them. capped and uncapped. One side of the comb is mowed flat at the bottom from end to end and the other side of the frame is full of comb with capped honey. Another frame looked like the comb was chewed back to the foundation on one side and some had holes the size of a quarter with groomed edges almost as if it were melted with a torch. There was no debris trail, and no sign of moth larvi. I didn't check the bottom super so I'm not sure if there is a problem there or not. The frames seemed well groomed they had rounded edges as if they were trimmed like a hedge. So I'm not sure if that's my bees cleaning up after the damage. The colony is strong.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you had wax moths you would easily identify the damaged comb as having web like tunnels running through the comb along the plastic foundation, waste and debris, cocoons and visible larvae.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Mouse guard does no good at all if the mouse was already in hive when they where placed.....take a good look in hive with mag light between frames...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Sometimes during the summer dearth the bees will use all of the honey out of the combs above the brood nest. After this happens they will chew holes in the comb. I'm not sure why they do this. Normally they will fix most of the holes once the fall flow starts. But, if the flow was weak they may not need all of the space above to store honey. In this case they may not fix all of the combs. This could be what happened. If you have no webs from wax moths and you don't have a mouse?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts