Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went into my top bar hive this evening for the first time this year and what i found was quite odd...they have created the comb perpendicular to the top bars...and i have absolutely no idea why...anyone out there ever experience this? the bigger problem is that i need to now empty about 4- bars to make more room but in order to do that i will have to basically destroy about half of the entire hive doing so...HELP!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am not sure it is right, but here are my thoughts. You could get some clam shell hair clips and cut the comb off in big strips. Drill two holes in your top bars and use a zip tie to thread through and secure the clam shelled comb to them. That's what I do with a cut-out. The problem with doing that is the fresh comb will be fragile.

I can send some pics if you need.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's nothing uncommon about your bees making cross comb, this happens in other hives but are a particular problem in TBHs. When your bees are starting out, either package or swarm, it's important to inspect every week and if your bees are cross combing you can straighten their comb out by hand. Fresh comb is soft and can be pushed in the right direction when it's first being started.

As jwcarlson also indicates, a level hive is less likely to create cross comb, but it isn't a guarantee it won't. You must inspect frequently in the beginning to set your bees on the right path.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
One good comb leads to another. One bad comb leads to another. Make some frames. Cut the combs out and rubber band them into frames. Once you have some running the right way, the rest will be parallel. The hair clip will not work with soft comb. Even rubber banding into frames is difficult with soft new comb...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts