Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Yesterday, I made my weekly inspection of my hives (3). A couple hives had become a mess. These bees seem to want to make comb just about everywhere. Favorite spots include the top bars, and in the top feeder gaps. This did not happen at all last year.

This year I have been using follower boards. To my surprise, yesterday's inspection reveals a large drawn comb (in the style of a top bar hive), hanging from the bottom of the feeder, on the outside wall of the follwer board, two deeps in length. Quite beautiful, but wrong location. Is this common?

Any thoughts about my comb crazy bees would be appreciated.

Best,

DG

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I would get rid of the follower board and the feeder. Then I would add a super. Your area should be in a flow and they need excesive space for drying nector. At least 6, maybe 20 combs free for useage. Especially in the wetlands where you live.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Iddee,

That's close to what I did yesterday. I didn't remove the follower boards, but I did remove the feeder and add a honey super. My tout here is a big fan of follower boards, so I've been following his lead (this season anyway).

Thanks.

DG

[ May 30, 2006, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: dgoodman ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts