Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a special project right now and I am looking for pictures of very colorfully painted hives. I am particularly interested in designs being used as anti-drift strategies. Also I remember, from three or four years ago some descriptions of how people gave their hives a camo look. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Can you PM me if you've got pics to share - or post here? I never tire of looking at other people's beehives, and I am sure others BS members would enjoy them, too.

Thanks,

Nancy

·
Registered
899 Posts
Howdy, Nancy; 1st time I've accessed Beesource in months (that means that things are smooth here with The Girls; I hope yours're OK as well).

For what it's worth, I've attached a shot of my remaining hives from October; the other 3 that were small hived swarms didn't make it; SHB maggot-overwhelmed. A shame. I'm thinking that if I catch swarms in spring, I'll ensure I combine weak hives.

Enjoy! my hive stand.25SEP2018.Landen.JPG

Mitch

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Mating nucs with different design stenciled on each end

. 20180605_192327.jpg

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, gosh, now we're cooking! That you Rader for the old threads. Dick Allen, now that goes back a ways.

I read in the old thread that bees in pink hives collect the least honey. Hmmmm. ... I had one hive on a scale this past summer, and it happened to be Petunia, painted a pale soft pink (dau. of Peony a bright lively, medium pink.) Both Peony and Petunia did especially well this summer. Petunia had two 10-frame deeps (undrawn) added this summer which she filled. For awhile she was clocking in at nearly 300 lbs, with five deeps and medium in the stack. Peony needed three additional deep supers, and though she didn't get as porky as her daughter, I still pulled 16 mostly filled deep frames of surplus honey from her before tucking her in at 147 lbs of total hive weight. (That weight is "light" for my yard, for wintering, so I have five of her frames standing by to slot in as soon as I can in the spring. Her honey was unhelpfully arranged among her boxes, so more was taken than I expected.)

I think Petunia was helped by two factors: she was on the end of the row, and being a scale hive she towered a good 15- 18 inches over her nearest neighbor. And in my experience the tallest hive in a row almost always seems the most populated.

Rader, with your amazing talent for finding things in the back recesses of the BeeSource attic - do you remember any instructions for painting a camo-style design. I seem to remember that and I just can't find it.

Nancy

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
A closing beekeeper sold dozens of these a few years back.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I’ve always liked this pic of mating mini nucs from Z’s Bees in Orland California.

2DD3E8A3-A240-4FFB-A281-4FCC1A63ADFF.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
We use Coroplast in various shapes and colors on the landing boards of the hives. It helps the bees orient and also allows me to talk to my partner to explain "Orange" did this or Green" looks good, etc. We originally put them on the deep boxes, but they work better on the landing boards so they are easy seen by everyone even when the bees have their winter coats on!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
A closing beekeeper sold dozens of these a few years back.

I actually made off with one of Ollie’s boxes at his yard when he wasn’t looking. Too crappy to use but I keep it as a trophy!!!

78353856-4026-400B-A55E-C9A7AC5EBD93.jpg

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I can't believe you filched on of my good supers when my back was turned. I was wondering where I had put that one. I would like to point out to everyone that since Charlie is admitting to stealing from me, we also can't trust his story that he beat me at that bait swarm competition. I wasn't there, I just took what he said as truthful. For all we know he shook the swarm out of my box into his. Next he will steal that good cover shown in my picture.

I actually made off with one of Ollie’s boxes at his yard when he wasn’t looking. Too crappy to use but I keep it as a trophy!!!\

1 - 20 of 23 Posts