Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
rookie here with new bees, why do I have 2 different colored wax in both of my hives? some is dark yellow and some nice white?

thanks
gary

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Bees produce white wax scales which they use to make their comb. It all starts out white. Brood comb is dark brown or black from the leftover cocoons. The other comb turns yellow from contact with honey, pollen and/or propolis. Smells good, too!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Color of the honey/nectar used to supply the wax glands can influence the color of wax - mostly in the range of white through shades of yellow. The Hive and the Honey Bee reports that new wax is always snow white. Not true.

Bees that tank up for wax making on the dark nectar of redbud produce a decidedly yellow wax. And goldenrod produces golden wax.

Walt

·
Registered
187 Posts
I did a cut out in June and rubber-banded some of the old black comb into new frames. The bees built out new comb around the old comb. The new comb is very brown--almost as dark as the black wax. I'm guessing they chewed some of the old wax in order to make the new.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yup, fresh new unadulterated wax is snow white. As it ages it turns darker (especially brood comb, it turns dark brown pretty quickly). One big exception there is late season wax, when the goldenrod is in bloom the wax can be rather stunningly yellow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts