Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the books I have read says to paint the hives different colors but most of the pictures of commerical apaires everything is painted white.Would l;ike some comment on the difference.I am a newbe and to old (71) to go commerical but would like to know anyway

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
@Nasal - Your yard is too neat!
:) Yeah, and there aren't any bees in those hives either. You don't want frass messing up such nice looking hives. :)

Hives should be painted whatever color or even design that you wish to paint them. Commercial beekeepers often paint all thier supers the same color as part of a way of identifying them. All of mine are different colors. Or maybe I should say that I have many different colors of supers.

It matters little. Do what you feel like. White is the presence of all color. So, if you paint them white you will have all of the colors present, except black. Which isn't a color. It is the absence of color.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am a cheapie, check Lowes, Home depot for any mis mixes they have that are pastel in color. Exterior paint, and they sell there mistakes cheap. Paid $8.00 a gallon.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Won't Wallyworld lay them away? Or couldn't you have hidden them behind some other stock until you could get back? I bet they would have been there a week later.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
What's wrong w/ pink. I'm sure that it would make your hives distinct and actually quite pleasant to look at. Instead of that old tired dark red.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The darker the color of the super, the hotter it will be in the hive. Here is Texas, where it was 97 deg today, we paint all of ours white, to help the bees be able to maintain the brood box temperature.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wal Mart white exterior paint is not worth the cheap price they charge. I went ahead and started paying the extra cost of Behr paint, at Home Depot. I hat building all this wooden ware, and I darn sure want it to last.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't laugh but my hives that I have pink boxes on have been some of the strongest producers. Blue seems to be the weekest. I have about 15 different colors and just over 50 hives. Has anyone done a study on this?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
@Nasal - Your yard is too neat!
That is the truth. Glad you are not one of my lawn care accounts, then we're talking serious up charge. :lpf:

One of these days I will post a pic of my yard, its a mess.

All jokes aside, We have grey, white, off white, shiny tan, dark tan, etc. boxes. I p/u mix match paints when I see them at lowes. Also, I try to go to the habitat for humanity store as often as possible b/c they literally have 100dreds of gallons of paint. All at a cheap price too. When I cannot find it at those places I go to walmart for kils (sp?) barn paint. At $12 a gallon it is a good price and it is a good consistency for painting boxes. Like chick said anything that isn't dark b/c it is HOT down here.

Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm just a little backyard beekeeper, but I did give some thought to the color of my hives. I'm a theatrical scenic painter by trade, so I couldn't help myself.

This was this spring. I wanted a color that would look pleasing with the copper roof, both new and oxidized. We're doing all medium boxes, and we're up to five boxes on this particular hive. The wooden stand and legs are redwood that we literally dug up in the back yard. Our other hive has a redwood landing board and roof.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts