Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had a light color for capped brood. This year almost all of the brood is darker and somewhat rusty colored, Forgive me for not being specific but I am color blind. I am seeing good brood patterns for the most part but I have never had this darker color before. I am working with new nucs that I received from Florida and perhaps the genetics of the bees are different. The limited amount of capped honey to date is as expected and lightly covered with white wax. Since most all of the new 13 hives have similar color I can only assume the queen determine the color of cappings.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The material used for capping brood is not new wax, but is material that has been recycled from elsewhere in the hive...a little wax, a little propolis, some cocoon fragments, etc.

If your prior experience has been from brood raised from packages put onto foundation, you'll have experienced lighter color cappings with that. With the nucs you've purchased, it may well be that the older brood combs in the nuc had darker brood cappings as a result of their having had the darker (older) material available when the brood needed to be capped.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,528 Posts
bees often chew older wax and casings of the previous bees paupa. This brood capping is air permeable, where the honey capping is pure wax and not air permeable. I have even seen yellowish cappings on brood where they used pollen for the perm part as there were no other things available.

the Queen does not determine the color, unless you assume the genitics help the offspring to choose what to mix in for the air permeabltlty.

GG

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Cappings will be darker in large busy hives as the bees walk on them more traveling up and down the hive and the cappings trap dirt.

Not a big deal so long as the brood is healthy!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. I have been a beekeeper for 10 years and always had lighter colored capped brood.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
This just shows you tend to turn over your combs rather quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts