Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought packaged bees that were supposed to be italian, but they are bee dark. One newly emerged queen is black. Any ideas?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure about yours but my carnolians are dark and my new world carnolians are really dark. The drones and queen are almost solid black. The few Italians that I have had are fairly golden. I prefer the dark bees. Its easier to see whats working the blooms around my area when you see a dark bee on a clover bloom and a "golden" bee two blooms over. And.. It seems that I have had more success with the dark bees.

I'm not too sure that you can tell all the races of bees just by their color. Especially with all the open mating that takes place. Try them. You may end up liking them better than any of the "lighter" bees.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The swarm I got a few weeks ago (my first hive) the bees range from black to golden some with black stripes some with a black patch on the butt. Glad this post came up I was wondering myself

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I agree like with most animals and people mutts are better. BTW how'd you put the circles on the pic.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Yes I agree like with most animals and people mutts are better. BTW how'd you put the circles on the pic.
Used the paint program. When you pull up your pic in viewing window it will be the paintbrush on taskbar below. Hmmmm, I raise Lewellin Setters, like that pure blood..:no:.......:lpf:
Some of my best dogs ever were mutts....... G

Copy of DSC04484.jpg

Copy of DSC03746.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts