Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wintered hive which I took a queen from (basically I did a small cut-down split). Last Saturday, when I was performing inspections I found capped queen cells, so I stole all but two. I can still see the capped queen cells (through a window). Three times this week they were acting like they are swarming. They would all come out and swirl in the air ~ 25' high and then come back and settle down into the hive. Anybody else has seen this? Suggestions? Should I give them a queenless hive with some fresh brood?

There is no eggs or open brood in the hive.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ive seen this in my queen raising nucs and I think its bees leaving the hive momentarily with the virgin queen when she goes out on a mating flight.
They dont go with her they just pile out like a swarm and then most pile straight back in again but some have clustered on a fencepost or tree as a swarm would but then heads back into the hive again.

My guess is you will have a laying queen in a few days

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Maybe that's what one of my nucs was doing last Friday. One did swarm on Saturday and I'm almost certain it was the same hive that was doing as you described on Friday. I hope to find eggs Saturday.....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Brad Bee if your nuc did actually swarm you may not have a queen any more.

Whereas if the bees swarmed out and came right back in again I would assume the queen is still with the nuc and probably mated.

I hope your nuc has a queen in it :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts